For more information about indexing:
- Melody Englund, Songbird Indexing
Not only does Melody provide indexing services, she also will help you organize any of
your intellectual assets.
- Shelley Greenhouse and Gail McMenamin (SGM), Biomedical Database Indexing Services
The Database Indexing Resources page of this site is very useful for those of you interested in working as a database indexer. And Shelley's article, "The Future of Database Indexing", gives great overview of database indexing from an indexer's perspective.
- Heather Hedden, Hedden Information Management
Heather recently started offering online courses in website indexing. She offers versions for those who know HTML and for those who do not know HTML, and she offers versions with lessons on basic indexing technique.
- Susan Holbert, Indexing training
Susan's Web site contains a quiz called "Is Indexing for You?" especially for beginners and
- Seth Maislin, Focus Information
Seth has several well-written articles on indexing at his site. He is also a founding member of Potomac Indexing, a consortium of indexing associates of which I am proud to be a member. In fact, I'm "spotlighted" in the inaugural issue of their newsletter, The Slice.
- By using Certified Indexers, editors, authors, and publishers help ensure that the indexes produced for them will be of the highest possible quality. You can find a Certified Indexer from the Institute of Certified Indexers (ICI).
- Nancy Mulvany, Bayside
Nancy is the author of Indexing Books (Chicago). She also teaches indexing and wrote
the syllabus for the USDA Graduate School Self-Paced Training Basic Indexing course. Her site is an excellent source for reference books and other resources for indexers.
- Martin Tulic, Indexer
Marty's site has an excellent section "About indexing," a virtual index of indexing aspects. "Other indexers," indexed by subject areas, is also useful if you are looking for professional indexers with specific specialties or types of experience.
- Jan Wright, Wright Information
Jan has several articles on indexing at her site: "How to Index Online," "Indexing with
PageMaker," "Indexing with Word," "An Overview of Indexing Methods," and "Working with
Help Keywords" are just a few. She is also the author of one of my favorite lines:
An index a day keeps the telephone calls away!